Image Map

Monday, July 13, 2015

Monday Made It - 7/13/15

I'm thrilled to be linking up with 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made It. It has been over a year since my last link-up!


My sister, Linh, is very crafty so she is always inspiring me in many ways! Over the weekend, I helped her set up this amazing art corner in her house for her kids. It was really simple. My school is moving into a new building in one year, so I will definitely set this up for my art wall in my new classroom.



We first put the "Every child is an artist" decal from Amazon on the wall. This decal also comes in other fonts too on Amazon for about $14. 


Then, we used little white hooks from Target and screwed them right into the wall.


We used twine and connected it to the ends of the hooks. Yarn can also be used too, but twine is more durable and doesn't fray as easily. The clothespins look like the standard size in the picture, but they are actually mini-sized clothespins from Michaels. It doesn't matter what size you use though.




I will obviously use the white Command hooks in my new classroom so there is no damage to the wall.




The revision of my 1st grade morning work packet bundle is still in progress. The morning work packets I have up on TpT are aligned to Minnesota State Standards so the math review includes concepts like counting collections of dimes, nickels, and pennies which are not part of the 1st grade CCSS. After receiving requests from a few of my followers, I decided to revise the morning work packets so that the skills are aligned to the CCSS. It's been taking me a long time, but I hope to have them ready by the end of July or the first week of August. If you have already purchased the packets, you will be able to download the revised files soon!



Teachers are flocking to Periscope. It's exactly what the teaching community needed to connect with each other to offer teaching tidbits, stories about life, and support. I will be hosting my first LIVE Periscope broadcast today at 2:15 p.m. Find me @msmaihuynh. I will be posting a reminder on Instagram, so don't miss out on my introduction!


If you can't make it at 2:15, the video will be available for 24 hours for you to watch. You won't be able to make a comment, but you will be able to give me hearts by tapping on the screen.

Thanks to Cher from Mrs. Harrison's Hive for such an inspiring Periscope last night! Also, I joined Angie's (of Lucky Little Learners) Periscope this morning and read her "25 Periscope Tips" post, so I'm feeling a little more at ease. You have both given me the courage I need...I'm still nervous though!

***************************************************************************************************
Thanks to Tara from 4th Grade Frolics for hosting today's Monday Made It. Click on the image below to join the linky!

http://4thgradefrolics.blogspot.com/2015/07/monday-made-it-july-13.html


As my good friend Stacy used to always say to me, "Walk with a purpose!"

Mai

10 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to make an art line by my son's art table for a long time-looks great! Also, just followed you on Periscope-can't wait to watch! I'm @SproutClassroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! I'm following you on Periscope as well. I hope you do your first Periscope soon, I would love to join in!

      Delete
  2. I will have to hop on and watch your Periscope! I watched Angie's this morning too, but don't have the guts yet!! The art wall looks FAB and you GO GIRL for realigning your product to the CCSS, that can not be an easy task!

    Jess
    www.lacquerteachrepeat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess! Periscope--yes, you can do it. You will be nervous the whole time, but teachers make the best audience. Everyone was so encouraging. I followed you on Periscope so I hope to get a notification soon...I'll be your biggest cheerleader!

      Also, chalk-inspired creations are on my to-do list thanks to your post. :)

      Delete
  3. I love the artist wall. I have wanted to do something similar for my daughter. I just need to decide on a spot. I don't want it in the way but I want it noticed. :)
    My Bright Blue House

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My sister put it in her mud room. People can see it as they walk by the wall on their way to the bathroom, but it's not visible from the kitchen or living room, which is good because that area got messy very quickly with art supplies everywhere! Thanks for reading and leaving a comment!

      Delete
    2. Oh! Thanks for the idea-- I may put it by the guest bathroom!

      Delete
  4. I was trying to stay off of Periscope today but when I saw you broadcasting this morning, I had to jump in! I was so excited for you! You rocked it! :) Thanks for the plug. I really want to rewatch my periscope and saved it to my computer using a free trial of a mirroring program since I don't have a Mac, but I had to run out of the room as it was playing and recording. Next time, hair up or makeup or something - I hate watching and listening to myself! Really.

    I have been hearing good things about command hooks lately. I need to pick some up! I think that art corner for your sister's kids is adorable and sweet! Will you be adding more to your Back to School Morning Work or is it simply meant to connect to Septembers?

    Talk to you soon!
    -Cher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you have become my biggest cheerleader--LOVE! I watched my Periscope and it just felt awkward, but I suppose we'll get used to it over time. Thanks so much for joining even though you were trying to have a Periscope-free day. :)

      The back-to-school packet is done and it's meant to connect to September's packet. However, all of the 1st grade morning work will be revised so I'll be updating each individual month that is up. I'll let you know when I update the file!

      Delete